Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

An easy fridge clean-out

One of my favorite things to cook in college was big stir-frys. Living with roommates plus significant others plus friends who pop-in for a visit, stir-frys were a simple solution to needing to feed a  large amount of people. It also was very accommodating to different diets and tastes and was very helpful when we needed to use-up produce that was on its last breath.

The ingredients are a simple combination of veggies+protein+carb+sauce. In my stir-fry I used what I had: swiss chard, carrots, onions, garlic, shrimp, brown rice, an egg, ground ginger, soy sauce and sriracha. This is what I had to use in my fridge but other possibilities for the veggies are brocoli, snap peas, peas, green beans, eggplant, etc. For the protein I really like tofu (especially if I am making it vegan) chicken, and beef. Rice is not the only option for your carb. A favorite in college was to use soba or rice noodles. If you can't find these at your local grocery, just use spaghetti! Also, quinoa, barley, and farro work so good and add a boost of whole grains. A combination of different spices and sauces is what pulls the dish together, whether those be traditional, like soy sauce, or you can get creative and make a peanut sauce or use coconut milk, sriracha, honey, ginger, chile flakes and so much more.


 There are two crucial rules to creating a perfect stir fry:
1. Prepare all ingredients prior to getting started
2. Heat your pan as hot as you can

Follow these two rules and you will have an awesome stir fry in no time.

I finished my stir-fry off with a squeeze of lime. Other options for toppings are crushed nuts (cashews and peanuts!), bean sprouts, or chopped spring onion.

What is your favorite quick and easy, fridge cleaning meal? 


1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! My stir-fry always seems to come out a little iffy maybe your tips will help me out :)

    ReplyDelete